Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Materials and Process Engineer II (660172) in Westminster, Colorado
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
Paint Materials and Process Engineer
The position will execute small scale engineering projects. Perform project engineering maintenance and project work from design to implementation. Participates as a key contributor on project and technical teams and may provide technical guidance to others as assigned. Work independently and make technical decisions based on full awareness of viability, cost and other benefits. Develop and implement innovative solutions.
What you’ll do:
- Material selection, application, and integration as dictated by both process and end-use environments.
- Research, develop and implement tools and processes to improve paint system performance, quality, uptime and cost.
- Process planning and scheduling.
- Provide process troubleshooting support to coating processes and implementing effective countermeasures.
- Direct the daily activities of process technicians and junior engineers.
- Implement process control plans and driving safety improvements in all paint process areas.
- Implement and monitor advanced quality planning and provide technical support as needed.
- Prepare budgets for new products and yearly budget items for the department on equipment repairs and improvements.
- Provide primary control system hardware/software support, instrumentation, and process engineering/optimization to a variety of field personnel including Operations Technicians, Instrument Technicians, and various members of Operations management.
- Train, troubleshoot, support various environmental regulations & reports, root cause analysis, and preventative/corrective maintenance focusing on all areas of the advanced control system.
- Equipment specification, ordering, run-off, installation and qualification;
- Equipment and systems budget planning and tracking;
- Value Stream Mapping and Process Optimization;
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What you’ll need:
- BS degree in Aerospace Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Materials Engineering, Physics, Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering or a directly relevant science/engineering degree, plus 5 or more years aerospace, aircraft, or automotive paint materials and process engineering experience with demonstrated expertise in component painting technology and processes;
- Working knowledge of paint and coating department processes and principles, including latest materials and technologies
- Understanding of key characteristics and producibility considerations regarding coating application and the associated materials and processes. Ability to apply the above in a design through manufacturing environment.
- Understanding of advanced paint processes and materials and ability to correlate properly to technology roadmaps
- Basic knowledge of robotic paint programming.
- Working knowledge of paint department processes and principles, including latest materials and technologies
- General knowledge of production control / scheduling systems.
- Good analytical / problem-solving skills.
- Blueprint reading skills.
- Working knowledge of statistical analysis.
- General MS-Office skills, Excel and Access.
- Able to manage multiple projects and priorities.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of ISO 9100, 14001, TS 16949 requirements.
- Good organizational and time management skills.
- Working knowledge of lean manufacturing principles.
- Basic knowledge of PLC programming.
- Strong knowledge of paint application process.
- Advanced process troubleshooting experience.
- Experience with manual and automated liquid paint applications.
- Analytical ability at a high level to solve problems that are unusual and difficult;
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, communication and presentation skills;
- Able and willing to travel as needed to support product launches and solve technical problems.
- In addition to the typical educational and experience requirements, a demonstrated capability to adequately perform the essential functions and responsibilities of the position and exhibit the skills and competencies of the grade level should be considered. Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, and production floor. Associated garbing will be required.
- Will periodically work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful applicant for this position must be eligible to obtain a DoD clearance. A current DoD clearance is not required to be eligible for this position, however the successful applicant will be required to obtain a DoD clearance within a reasonable time after the offer is extended and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance. * US Citizenship is Required
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Materials and Process Engineer II (660172)
Job ID: 660172
Location: CO - Westminster
Full/Part Time: Full-Time