Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Engineer Principal - System of Systems (661017) - Security clearance required in Broomfield, Colorado
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
Principal Engineer – System of Systems
What you’ll do:
- Address SoS over the entire lifecycle, however the immediate need focuses on conceptual studies and early program development.
- Collaborate and integrate architectures and designs across independent but interrelated segments & systems (space, ground, ops, users), with products and execution provided by independently managed and funded organizations.
- Develop flexible next generation architectures in the context of existing/legacy “directed” systems, including evolutionary roadmaps and trade space management. Identify and nurture emergent architectures.
- Maintain familiarity with the customer community, their driving needs, and their methods & modes of decision-making and governance.
- Coherently describe complex problem definitions and solution trades to audiences at all levels and across diverse disciplines, in oral and written form.
- Understand and effectively utilize DoDAF or equivalent; power user expertise is a plus.
- Conduct system modeling and simulation using existing models and help create new models.
- Model lifecycle cost and schedule at the system level.
- Characterize risk at the system level.
- Participate in writing proposals and creating and delivering presentations.
- Experience with systems engineering tools and processes is beneficial.
- Act as mentor for several other mission systems architects and engineers.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Unit/Strategic Support Unit and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What you’ll need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 12 or more years related experience.
- This position requires a current TS/SCI clearance.
- Experience with advanced architecture modeling and trade space management.
- Experience implementing one or more of the following segments: space, ground, user; or implementing overall system operations.
- Experience with net centric architectures is beneficial, however additional depth in implementation of one or more of space, ground, or user segments, or overall system operations, is highly desired.
- Advanced computer application skills, such as Matlab, C, C++, IDL, STK, DOORS, and other analytical tools is a strong plus.
- 10 or more years of experience as a technical lead in mission-level programs or related fields.
- Proven leadership and management skills for large and small projects.
- Excellent communication skills are essential including the ability to understand the customer’s needs and provide clear communication of proposed solutions to both company management and the customer.
- In addition to the typical educational and experience requirements, a demonstrated capability to adequately perform the essential functions and responsibilities of the position and exhibit the skills and competencies of the grade level should be considered. Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful candidate will have completed a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. *U.S. Citizenship is Required.
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Engineer Principal - System of Systems (661017) - Security clearance required
Job ID: 661017
Location: CO - Broomfield
Full/Part Time: Full-Time