Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Staff Consultant - Space Systems (660894) - Security Clearance Required in Boulder, Colorado
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
Staff Consultant – Space Systems This position will report to the Manager of Mission Systems. This position has responsibility for leading development of space flight systems, including aspects of spacecraft and space borne instruments.
What You’ll Do:
- Perform Systems Engineering tasks throughout the lifecycle of programs or R&D; projects.
- Support the development, test and evaluation of hardware, software, support equipment and systems.
- Generate engineering documents including specifications, interface control documents, and test plans.
- Update and manage requirements with the DOORS or designated software system.
- Develop system concepts and interface definitions.
- Analyze system configurations and error budgets.
- Understand and complete system architecture trades.
- Support risk assessment and analysis.
- Additional opportunities may include:
- Support the development and conduct of mission operations for NASA, DoD, and commercial customers
- Conduct spacecraft or instrument performance modeling and simulation using existing models and help create new models.
- Work on spacecraft subsystems such as power, propulsion, command and data handling (C&DH;), or attitude determination and control system (ADCS)
- Communicate a vision of the system architecture to Ball engineers, and lead multi-disciplinary teams across multiple organizations in detailed design, analysis, and optimization of the candidate systems and subsystem performance and operation.
- Participate in writing proposals and creating and delivering presentations
- Experience with systems engineering tools and processes is beneficial.
- Act as mentor for several other mission systems engineers.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Unit/Strategic Support Unit and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 16 or more years related experience.
- Advanced computer application skills, such as Matlab, C, C++, IDL, STK, DOORS, and other analytical tools is a strong plus.
- 12 or more years of experience as a technical lead in spacecraft or instrument programs or related fields.
- Experience in space hardware and software engineering is required, including, but not limited to: Systems architectures, including both space and ground segments; flight systems design, systems engineering, as well as integration & test.
- Proven leadership and management skills for large and small projects.
- Excellent communication skills are essential, including the ability to understand the customer’s needs and provide clear communication of proposed solutions to both Ball management and the customer.
- In addition to the typical educational and experience requirements, a demonstrated capability to adequately perform the essential functions and responsibilities of the position and exhibit the skills and competencies of the grade level should be considered. Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Work is performed in an office environment, laboratory, clean room, or production floor.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful candidate will have completed a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. *U.S. Citizenship is Required.
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Staff Consultant - Space Systems (660894) - Security Clearance Required
Job ID: 660894
Location: CO - Boulder
Full/Part Time: Full-Time