Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Senior Engineer-Command and Data Handling/Avionics (660619) in Boulder, Colorado
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
Senior Engineer - Command and Data Handling / Avionics
Subsystem engineer responsible for avionics design, specification, and verification of command and data handling subsystems for spacecraft.
What You'll Do:
- Interface with spacecraft systems engineers and other subsystem engineering leads to define interfaces and requirements for the C&DH; subsystem.
- Generate verification and validation plans and working with Integration and Test to ensure the subsystem meets requirements.
- Develop detailed cost estimates and schedules for spacecraft CD&H; subsystems
- Collaborate with the spacecraft system engineers on technology insertion into new bus architectures.
- Support the spacecraft new business activities with architecture updates and cost proposals.
- Interface with subcontractors/vendors for design and obsolescence updates.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS in Electrical Engineering or a related technical field is required, plus 8 or more years of experience.
- A current Top Secret security clearance is preferred.
- Familiarity with space rated electronic systems as well as embedded software.
- Expertise in developing specifications, design and analysis documentation.
- Experience in Electrical requirements analysis and allocation, electrical subsystem conceptual development/trade studies, design leadership, and space hardware development.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, strong presentation skills, and the ability to lead group discussions and to support presenting to customers and staff.
- Knowledge of electronics used for power distribution, power switching, and EMI/EMC/ESD compliance.
- Understanding of redundant hardware architectures.
- Experience in developing electronics systems for classified programs.
- Knowledge of spacecraft harnessing issues and requirements.
- Embedded processor-based electronics architecture experience is desired.
- Development experience of redundant hardware fault tolerant electronics, self-diagnostic, and architecture/design experience.
- Knowledge of grounding architectures for low noise systems.
- Integration and test experience.
- Detailed design experience with "flight space qualified" electronic programs and radiation hardened environments.
- FPGA development experience is desired.
- In addition to the typical educational and experience requirements, a demonstrated capability to adequately perform the essential functions and responsibilities of the position and exhibit the skills and competencies of the grade level should be considered. Each higher level degree, i.e. Master's Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Two years of experience may be substituted for each year of education.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful applicant for this position must be eligible to obtain a DoD clearance. A current DoD clearance is not required to be eligible for this position, however the successful applicant will be required to obtain a DoD clearance within a reasonable time after the offer is extended and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance. * US Citizenship is Required
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.