Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Senior Electrical Instrument Systems Engineer (660634) in Boulder, Colorado
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
Senior Engineer – Electrical Instrument System Engineer
Provide electrical system architecture and electronics implementation experience, knowledge, and technical leadership for cutting-edge space-based electro-optical remote sensing instruments.
What you’ll do:
- Infuse new electrical technology where needed, make the electrical system work end-to-end, and make the mission successful.
- Lead electrical technology assessments and electrical system level architecture trade studies, electrical system definition, and electrical subsystem level requirements flow-down (analysis and allocation).
- Provide technical oversight of detailed designs to ensure the instrument electrical system is compliant and verifiable at the payload level. Technologies include focal planes, digital signal processing, high speed data transfer, low noise analog sensing, thermal control, mechanism control, low voltage power, and harnessing.
- Instrument level grounding, EMI/EMC/ESD allocations and implementation, and electrical interface control definitions.
- Effectively operate within a multi-discipline instrument system engineering team.
- An ability to talk with both internal and external customers.
- Defining and implementing the test and verification program.
- Lead the resolution of hardware anomalies and determine root cause and corrective action.
- Contribute to proposal efforts for space based electro-optical remote sensing instruments.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What you’ll need:
- BS degree or higher in Electrical Engineering or a related technical field plus 8 or more years of experience.
- Experience as a technical team leader.
- First-hand knowledge of electronics used for low voltage power generation and distribution, digital data processing, high speed serial data transmission, discrete command and telemetry, low noise analog signal processing, closed loop control electronics, and EMI/EMC/ESD compliance.
- Knowledge of grounding architectures for low noise systems.
- Knowledge of harnessing to meet voltage drop, power, EMI/EMC/ESD, and signal integrity requirements.
- Experience developing single string and redundant electrical systems.
- Experience in developing or guiding the creation of electrical system specifications, and electrical requirements analysis and allocation.
- Detailed design experience with "space flight qualified" electronics.
- Analytical experience: FMECA, WCA, reliability, EMI/EMC/ESD, voltage drop, and derating.
- Ability to identify and mitigate technical risks.
- Ability to evaluate and optimize size, weight, and power.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, strong presentation skills, and the ability to effectively lead group discussions.
- Expertise in high speed digital system architectures, closed-loop control systems, and integration and test experience.
- Embedded processor-based electronics architecture experience.
- Current Top Secret security clearance is preferred.
- In addition to the typical educational and experience requirements, a demonstrated capability to adequately perform the essential functions and responsibilities of the position and exhibit the skills and competencies of the grade level should be considered. Each higher level degree, i.e. Master's degree or Ph.D. (or Bachelor´s or Master´s degree) may substitute for two years of experience. Two years of experience may be substituted for each year of education. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
*Working Conditions: *
- Work is performed in an office environment, laboratory, clean room, or production floor.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful applicant for this position must be eligible to obtain a DoD clearance. A current DoD clearance is not required to be eligible for this position, however the successful applicant will be required to obtain a DoD clearance within a reasonable time after the offer is extended and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance.
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.