Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Principal Structural Engineer - Structural Dynamics (659744) in Boulder, Colorado
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
Principal Structural Engineer – Structural Dynamics
Experienced aerospace structural analyst to lead the structural dynamics analysis effort on large satellite and payload programs.
What you´ll do:
- Experienced aerospace structural engineer leading the structural dynamics effort on large advanced satellite hardware programs which may include spacecraft, payloads, precision mechanisms, and ground support equipment.
- Develop and maintain complex system level finite element models including integration and coordination of models received from various contractors.
- Create reduced dynamic models for use in coupled loads analysis. Coordinate analysis with Launch Vehicle contractors and perform independent system level dynamic response analysis.
- Develop, implement, and maintain custom tools for creation of reduced dynamic models and dynamic response analysis using custom Matlab tools and NASTRAN DMAP.
- Develop and manage system level environmental requirements including loads, vibration, acoustics, and shock. Develop and manage system level verification plans.
- Perform system level loads, vibration, and acoustic response analysis and develop design loads to be used in structural design.
- Perform system level operational performance analysis generating payload responses to spacecraft disturbances and developing solutions to mitigate dynamic interactions.
- Develop test and instrumentation plans for system level modal survey testing. Direct testing and data acquisition. Perform model correlation based on test results.
- Develop test and instrumentation plans for system, subsystem, and component dynamic testing including shock and vibration. Support dynamic testing and provide real-time interpretation of test results and anomaly resolution.
- Take responsibility for all phases of structural verification effort including requirements definition, program planning and tracking, structural analysis, structural testing, and requirement verification.
- Provide direct interaction with customer and upper management and communicate at high levels.
- Provide technical direction and mentoring to large structural analysis team in the areas of finite element modeling techniques, structural dynamics, environments, loads analysis (including random vibration, acoustics, sine and jitter), preparation of detailed engineering analysis reports, development of structural test requirements, and supporting structural and vibration testing.
- Interface with program personnel such as designers, customers, suppliers, management, and mission assurance disciplines to provide low cost solution.
- Translate customer requirements into internal procedures through the construction of a plan, based on BPL (Ball Process Libraries) and ISO processes.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What you´ll need:
- A BS degree or higher in Mechanical, Civil, Aerospace Engineering or a related technical field, including coursework in statics, dynamics, strength of materials, and linear algebra, plus 12 or more years of related experience, is required.
- An advanced degree in Mechanical, Civil, Aerospace Engineering or a related technical field is preferred.
- 12 or more years of experience performing structural analysis of aerospace-related hardware with emphasis on structural dynamics is required.
- Current Top Secret clearance with a current favorable Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) is required.
- A demonstrated ability to organize and lead large aerospace structural analysis efforts is required.
- A strong background in structural dynamics theory is required.
- Good interpersonal skills, high level communication skills, and the ability to work effectively in a team environment are essential.
- Proficiency in the use of NASTRAN finite element analysis including static, modal, frequency response, dynamic reduction, non-linear analysis, and DMAP programming is required.
- Experience with the creation of reduced dynamic (Craig-Bampton) models and experience with performing Coupled Loads Analysis is required.
- Proficiency in the use of IDEAS, NX or similar finite element pre/post processing software is required.
- The ability to develop and maintain custom engineering tools for reduced dynamic model creation and dynamic response analysis using Matlab is required.
- Previous experience with the following analysis tools is preferred: Adams, Ansys, Mechanica.
- Proficiency with MS Office tools is required.
- Programming experience with MATLAB or at least one other scientific programming language is preferred.
- Proficiency in the use of SolidWorks is preferred.
- In addition to the typical educational and experience requirements, a demonstrated capability to adequately perform the essential functions and responsibilities of the position and exhibit the skills and competencies of the grade level should be considered. Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful candidate will have completed a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. *U.S. Citizenship is Required.
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Principal Structural Engineer - Structural Dynamics (659744)
Job ID: 659744
Location: CO - Boulder
Full/Part Time: Full-Time