Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Machinist Prototype Senior (661010) in Boulder, Colorado
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
Senior Prototype Machinist
What You’ll Do:
- Apply advanced knowledge and skills in area of specialization. May adapt procedures, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment to meet special needs. Substantial level of competencies in one or more areas of specialization.
- Setup and operate engine lathes for turning, facing, drilling, boring and thread cutting to precision (less than 0.001) tolerances.
- Setup and operate vertical milling machines to mill, drill, bore, precision parts with basic setups to (less than 0.001) tolerances.
- Design and fabricate basic holding fixtures.
- Use basic inspection equipment to check parts per ANSI Y14.5.
- Review and interpret electronic build documents for machining requirements.
- Maintain required electronic build records and process logs, records, and reports in accordance with BATC policies/procedures and government regulations.
- Make suggestions relating to the machining and fabrication of intricate complex hardware.
- Develop feed and speed information for new materials and new types of cutting tools.
- Assist leads and supervisors in manufacturing process planning.
- May train, mentor, and coordinate the work of lower level machinists to assure task completion.
- Support producability studies on new layouts and Engineering drawings.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Unit/Strategic Support Unit and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- High School diploma or equivalent plus 8 years or more related experience or a related 2-year technical degree and 6 years or more related experience.
- Ability to use programming software (Master CAM) to support the operation of CNC machines.
- 5-Axis machining experience preferred.
- CNC Lathe experience preferred.
- In addition to the typical educational and experience requirements, a demonstrated capability to adequately perform the essential functions and responsibilities of the position and exhibit the skills and competencies of the grade level should be considered. Each higher-level related degree, i.e., Bachelor’s or Master’s, may substitute for two years of related experience. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Work is performed in a machine shop.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Relocation for this position is NOT Available
US CITIZENSHIP OR PERMANENT RESIDENCY IS REQUIRED
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Machinist Prototype Senior (661010)
Job ID: 661010
Location: CO - Boulder
Full/Part Time: Full-Time